An Unexpected Party

I open this journal with the news that I have been waiting six weeks to hear. The museum has approved my research! Please forgive my frankness, dear journal, but I have been waiting so long, and working so hard, and I cannot bear to indulge in a lengthy preamble. 

Ever since I left Oxford, I have been working to mount an expedition into the vast and unknown jungles of the Amazon Rainforest to find the lost tribe of Kalumi. Lord Harrison's findings five years ago among the Yanomami people seem to point to a probable location of the tribe, and further confirmed my theories of their existence. Not only were his discoveries important to my research, but his time with the natives, and the installation of their artifacts into the British Museum, have earned him a place in the Royal Science and Exploration Society and his place in the House of Lords. I am not a particularly political person, but a place in the RSES would be a dream come true! I can imagine myself comparing notes to some of the greatest minds in the kingdom!

Today was a dream come true in its own right though. When I arrived at the museum for work this morning, I could tell something strange was going on. Everyone was glancing at me and pretending not to. Mr. Wilson, the curator, called me into his office around one o'clock, and handed me a small envelope sealed with the museum's emblem. I opened it, and was surprised and delighted to read the short printed message: "We are delighted to inform you that your proposal has been approved." I was overjoyed to tears, and hugged the small man tightly. He gave his usual blustery dismissal of any affection, but I could tell that the smile hidden amongst his ample whiskers was warm and genuine. He has been such a very great friend to me in my time at the British Museum, and a very great mentor too.

Mr. Wilson led me to the Reading Room where the staff had gathered to congratulate me. Again, my composure failed me and I was in tears as they all toasted my success. We had some champagne and a lovely little gateau that Mrs. Kraine had made. Before we had to get back to our duties a few of the interns came up to me, asking me to please consider them for the expedition, but I told them it was too soon to decide on who would be going. It was a lovely little party, and it meant so much to me that they all wanted to congratulate me.

I'm so thrilled now, I can barely think what my next step should be, but of course I must calm down and take very careful and measured steps. Mr. Wilson and I both agreed that in the interests of time and safety, I must take an airship to Brazil, so I suppose the first thing I should do is find one to commission. I must have a good captain who knows the best places to land as close as possible to where the first clue to finding the Kalumi civilization might be. Tomorrow I shall have tea with Mr. Anderson, who is very experienced with these things, and see what advice he may have for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment