Over Hill and Under Hill

Today we finally set off on our wonderful adventure! My fellow academics and I met the good Captain at the London Airfield, with all of our necessary equipment and luggage. He eyed a few of my cases with incredulity, but I explained the importance of having adequate clothing in an unpredictable climate. I have, of course, brought very basic clothing, nothing too flouncy, and all of material that will hold up in tropical weather. I tried to bring the very least that modesty would allow.

The Captain's crew is certainly a strange bunch. His first mate is a Miss Rose James. She has been in the sun quite a bit, as evident in her skin, which is the color of one of my father's leather tomes in his library. Her hair is extremely blonde, almost white. I suppose she is of Nordic lineage, since her eyes are so icy blue. She seems in my eyes the very opposite of myself. She handles her body quite carelessly, but she is very much in control of the rest of the crew; they respond to her every word as though the threat of fire would follow!

The chief engineer is a fellow named Roger Higgs. He is very likeable, though a bit greasy. He is shorter than I am, with a cheerful face. He assured me most enthusiastically that the Pegasus' Rapture was a fine vessel, and that she will fly with speed and comfort.

Mr. Higgs's assistant is a young man named Thomas Wimble. He is tall and lanky, and looks like he just crawled out from a coal scullery. I can't tell if his hair is actually black, or if that's just soot and grease from the engine. He is very quiet and seems to prefer his work to socializing.

The ship's medic is a tall and dour fellow, Dr. Eric Branston. It is good to have a fellow with such expertise on a long trip, especially as we are headed into the unknown jungle. He is pleasant enough, but seems to consider everything to be very mundane indeed. I wonder that he will look upon the wonders of the Amazon with the same terse, banal expression with which he would examine a blank piece of paper.

Once we had all of our belongings safely stowed away, we boarded the airship and began the first leg of our flight. It was only a few short hours to our first stop in Bilbao, Spain. I was amazed at the speed and comfort of the flight, though Mr. Higgs had assured me of both. The Pegasus is a fine vessel, and I'm now more confident than ever in the success of the journey.

And the views! From our small passenger cabin we could see heaven and the earth joined together. As we soared over the pyrenees, I was struck by the beauty of the mountains, like a great fabric casually tossed down. We landed gracefully in Bilbao, and as it was getting into the evening, decided to find an inn where dinner and rest could both be had. A local Basque gentleman pointed us to a quaint establishment nestled into the mountainside. There we were treated to exceedingly good local cuisine, and found simple but comfortable lodging.

I am not only confident in my quest now, but excited beyond measure for all that I will see and learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment