Inside Information

We have been travelling now for three days. The day after we discovered the temple in the jungle, Mr. Wayling went back to the village and the rest of us continued on in our search. We decided to test our theory that different symbols meant different kinds of structures. Assuming that the temple we had found was indicated by a triangle, we embarked from the cool interior and into the sultry jungle in search of one of the square symbols. 

As we journeyed, we discovered flat stones jutting through the loamy soil, leading in the same direction we were going. "If I didn't know better," said Dr. Smythe, "I would think this was some kind of road." 

"How is that possible?" asked Dr. Manton. Everyone shook their heads, dumbfounded. 

Mr. Silveira smiled. "The Romans may not have visited Brasilia, but the ancient peoples had many advances beyond what we have today. Roads, medicines, things like that." 

I nodded, "Like the ancient Egyptians. I imagine much of the knowledge was lost during whatever cataclysm drove the Kalumi people into the forest." I thought again to the light producing crystals in the temple on the island.

We journeyed on, following the path and the landmarks from the map in the temple. We finally came upon a crumbling wall, covered in vines and foliage. Iguanas rested on top, and we could barely make out its true shape. We climbed carefully over it, and started to make our way through the thick jungle, somehow thicker on this side of the wall. We started to see that these thicker clumps were rock structures. As we walked around, we started to see what could be a small city. The walls were in a square perimeter, and within them were several structures of different sizes. There was a temple like the ones we had seen before in the very center, and what looked like residences and possibly workshops. The temple had the same crystal lights as the one on the island! Inside we saw another bird altar, and many carvings and paintings on the walls.

"This is incredible," I gasped, "these are the most detailed images we've seen so far!" Miss O'Connor got to work making rubbings of some of the carvings, and documenting the drawings. 

After a few hours, we found the most amazing thing! Some pictographs seemed to describe a great earthquake. There were depictions of armies as well, and tumbling buildings. These pictures seemed to be the newest in the temple, based on their condition. 

We bunked down in the temple, as it seemed the most structurally sound, and the easiest to defend from possible predators. Mr. Silveira has been very helpful in teaching us the best ways to do this.

Tonight after we ate, I was studying some of the carvings, when the Captain approached me. 

"So," he asked, "what is our plan now?" he smiled, his eyes crinkling a little at the corners. 

I smiled back. "I think we have as much information as we can get from this city. It is amazing, but it's only a small fraction of the society I'm looking for. If there is a great city where the river splits, we need to go there."

He nodded, thinking. "If there was an earthquake, as you and Dr. Manton have thought, and perhaps even a war, then there were two sides. Maybe not everyone left the city."

I grinned, excited. "Exactly!" I said, "Who knows what we might find!" We smiled for a moment, a little awkwardly. I turned to him. "Captain, I'm sorry if I've been short with you of late."

He looked away, rubbing his neck. "No, I was too childish on the dock. And besides, I may have been dismissive of you as well." He looked back at me, right into my eyes. "You really did me a great favor back there. I hope we find this city. I think you're right about it." He smiled warmly.

I smiled back, glad that the air had cleared between us. I am still a little curious about his history with Miss Rose, but I am resolved to put it out of my mind. Besides which, his history really doesn't have any bearing on my research. 

No comments:

Post a Comment