Not At Home

I have had a most devastating disappointment. Today we arrived at what we had hoped would be the Kalumi capital, the main city, the end of the map and of our expedition, but all was in ruins. After three more days of trekking through sultry, humid, sticky jungle, we finally found the place where the river branched off. We found stone structures, hiding in the thick vines and foliage. We found ancient carvings bearing Kalumi symbols. We found no people. The place had been abandoned, probably for centuries.

Why? Where are they? Did they really leave the city to the ages, never to return? It certainly seems so. As we examined the ruins, moving farther into the city proper, it became more and more clear. They had gone. Close to tears, I sat down on the carved stone head of a jaguar. We had reached the square on the map from the scalp, the indication of where the city should be, but there was nothing. The walls were there, and the carvings, but that was all. I felt a hand on my shoulder, large and warm. I looked up to see the Captain standing over me. His eyes were kind and soft, no longer smiling as they usually did, but filled with a gentleness that I was grateful to see. He sat down next to me without a word, and I, unable to contain myself, leaned my head on his shoulder and wept. He put his arm around me and sat very still.

Eventually I had no more tears to cry, and I sat up wiping my face. I smiled at the Captain gratefully. "Thank you," I said, and noticed the wet stain on his shirt where I had buried my face. "I'm sorry, please let me find a handkerchief..."

He stopped me, smiling as well. "It's fine," he said, and his voice was warm and soft. Not knowing what to do next, I sat there, looking around me. "What now?" he asked.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I was hoping to find the Kalumi still here. But, there is nothing to be done about it. We should examine these ruins, find whatever information we can." I sighed. "At least I was right. The Kalumi were here, they existed, and from what we've seen so far, their civilization was advanced far beyond what anyone had thought to exist in the Americas. We have already seen the indication of technology beyond the Mayans or Incas, even rivaling the ancient Egyptians. There is still much to learn." He nodded, and helped me up, and then we went to find the rest of the party. Rose and Mr. Higgs were together, looking around for shelter and a place to make camp for the night. We found Dr. Smythe and Dr. Manton looking at some carvings on a wall, arguing over them. I was gratified to see that at least they were still intent on discovering all they could.

Looking for Miss O'Connor, the Captain and I heard a strange rustling behind some bushes. The Captain put his hand out, signalling me to stay back, and put his hand on his revolver. He crept quietly behind the bushes, then stopped and turned back to me, a smirk on his lips. He signaled me to move back further, then came to join me. "We should go back" he whispered, almost chuckling, "We don't want to be here." I looked at him puzzled, when from the bushes tumbled Miss O'Connor and...Tom! They were giggling, and looked quite unkempt.

When Miss O'Connor saw me she stopped dead and stared wide-eyed. "Dr. Brabant! Um...how long have you been standing there?" I lifted an eyebrow, hoping for more explanation for her disheveled appearance. "Tom and I were...um...examining...carvings..." They looked at each other and tried not to giggle. It took all my self-control to keep from laughing as well, and assume a very stern look.

"Miss O'Connor," I said, in the most high-handed and authoritative voice I could manage under the circumstances, "Please join Doctors Smythe and Manton, they have found some carvings that need identification and they're having some trouble agreeing on what that might be." She ran off, red-faced. "And you, Tom," I said, piercing him with a deadly stare, "You may join your shipmates in setting up camp. There are many ruins to look at, we don't know how long we'll stay here." He ran off in the opposite direction. I sighed and looked up at the Captain. "I suppose it was only a matter of time." We both burst out laughing.

After many hours of investigation, we all sat down to eat by a campfire Rose had made. We discussed some of what we saw, and what it might mean. I asked Dr. Manton what he and Dr. Smythe had argued about, and if they'd come to some conclusion. He said nothing, and stared at his plate. I asked Dr. Smythe, since he seemed the only one willing to give a straight answer. "Well, Dr. Brabant," he said, "it seems Dr. Manton thinks we should give up the entire pursuit. He thinks all of this falls under the Yanomami history, and is therefore in the purview of Lord Harrison. I disagreed." I looked at Dr. Manton, demanding an explanation. Staring at the fire, Dr, Smythe said "My field may be linguistics, not anthropology, but even I can understand the different patterns and characteristics of the pictographs of different peoples. It would be a mistake to leave the site now, after we have come all this way." He looked up at me. "We still have much to learn."

I smiled, glad that his stony expression was so determinedly in my own favor. "Quite right, Dr. Smythe. Who knows what we might learn in the coming days, if we are diligent and precise in our work. Tomorrow we begin fresh." I looked around at the others. "Captain, if you and your crew don't mind, I would appreciate it if you could begin to walk around the perimeter of the city, and make a chart of the boundaries and buildings. Just a simple diagram will do, you don't need to make any conjecture about the nature of the structures, but it would help very much if we knew the extent of this metropolis. It will help us make sure we examine every building we can."

Captain Pankov nodded. "Certainly, Doctor."

I smiled at Miss O'Connor. "You and I will begin by examining the buildings near where we arrived, and Dr. Smythe and Dr. Manton may start on the opposite side, away from the river." I looked around again. "At the moment we are only documenting. Take rubbings, make notations of various markings, and look for repeating patterns and motifs. These will be the clues that lead us to the truth of these people." Everyone nodded, and we all settled down for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment